Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vivithemage

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
ooooooooo, I was wondering why I was getting rogue SMS's...and now my EDGE does not work...

rebooted my iphone 3g w/ gevey sim unlock and left myself a voicemail, still get phantom text.

still no EDGE too...

lorz1212

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2007
Voicemail indicator stays on

I'm so glad I found this forum. I was freaking out last night when I started getting those blank text messages and then the "Sad iPhone" screen. I just got off the phone with T-Mobile and he said Apple is suppose to come out with software to fix that and I told him I highly doubt that since Apple iPhone is suppose to be exclusive with AT&T. He came back and said that they were aware of the problem & that they have techs working on it, but since they don't really support "non-Tmobile" phones, that was all he could do for me for now. No solution, so I guess I'll continue to monitor the forums.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I just rebooted my iPhone, and it is working just fine. I called myself and left a voicemail, and it appeared on my phone immediately with no text. :)

FWIW, I tried mine again this morning also (if one is using alternative voicemail like Youmail, one can still dial T-Mobile's VM at 805-637-7243) and it continued to have the problem even with a reboot. Some people have said that it seems to happen on some towers and not others (maybe not all towers have been upgraded with the change?).

Has yours continued to work properly?

vivithemage

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
FWIW, I tried mine again this morning also (if one is using alternative voicemail like Youmail, one can still dial T-Mobile's VM at 805-637-7243) and it continued to have the problem even with a reboot. Some people have said that it seems to happen on some towers and not others (maybe not all towers have been upgraded with the change?).

mine is also having this issue still...and no EDGE.

in minneapolis area.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
That's too bad, although people who have reported this issue have not generally reported concomitant issues with either incoming/outgoing calls or data services, so if you're having additional problems, they might not be related.

Update on my side: After some phone tag, I received a very nice call back from the aforementioned gentleman at T-Mobile corporate. He let me know that Mr. Dotson had seen my e-mail, that they were aware of the issue I was describing, and that T-Mobile, though they do not offer the iPhone, and that they are committed to supporting users on their network who have them, stating that the iPhone is "in their system" (meaning, presumably, that they have an iPhone related knowledgebase or a process for handling iPhone problem tickets or something like that?).

He also indicated that they are working on a fix, but only said I could expect one in the next "six months." Finally, they gave me a one month service fee credit for inconvenience (which was unsolicited, but I thought very nice).

Basically, as usual, who knows how accurate this information is with respect to whether there will be a fix. Clearly, the issue seems to be at least part Apple's "fault," since it does not seem to be affecting any other unlocked phones (e.g. from Nokia or another vendor) and only Apple's phones. On the other hand, T-Mobile changed something, without seeming to have introduced new features, which begs the question of why it had to be changed.

Bottom line: If you haven't done so yet, now's the time to seriously consider and pick one of the workarounds. You might get lucky, but this problem may not be resolvable soon. If you have or can get an invite, incidentally, Google Voice (aka GrandCentral) sounds even better than YouMail, but it's in closed beta.

jmann

macrumors 604

Yeah. My springboard crashed once during regular use today. But I just checked and my voicemail indicator continues to function as normal. I also was scared that my data stopped working but it was just T-Mobile's subpar data coverage :rollseyes:

Is your data connection working?

Rosco212

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2009
UPDATE- A Solution Has Been Found!!

A user on modmyi.com has finally uncovered the secret to fix this issue!

Originally Posted by whitsle
I believe I have found the solution to the voicemail notification issue.
I installed the T-mobile US Carrier bundle from BigBoss in Cydia. Now I am receiving notification after a voicemail is left and after checking the red dot resets. And the best thing is no more of those stupid texts. Try it out and post results.

Many thanks whistle for this great find!

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I have gotton exactly two SMS that just say @. I always get teh red dot on my phone icon but it goes away if a just check my voice mail and a soon as it says i have non, i just hang up and the dot goes away.

I have 2.2....i never upgraded to 2.2.1 since there wasnt anything worth while in it. Maybe that is why im not getting tha many. I mean i always get a red dot , but it dont bother me.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
UPDATE- A Solution Has Been Found!!

A user on modmyi.com has finally uncovered the secret to fix this issue!

Originally Posted by whitsle
I believe I have found the solution to the voicemail notification issue.
I installed the T-mobile US Carrier bundle from BigBoss in Cydia. Now I am receiving notification after a voicemail is left and after checking the red dot resets. And the best thing is no more of those stupid texts. Try it out and post results.

Many thanks whistle for this great find!

Wow, that was fast...

What problem is there that can't be fixed in software??? ;)

Works great, thanks.

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2004
Yay! Fixed!

I doubt it is just for my phone, but the voicemail issue has been fixed for me, with no such action on my part. :D

Was this T-Mobile? Anyone still experiencing the VM problem?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I doubt it is just for my phone, but the voicemail issue has been fixed for me, with no such action on my part. :D

Was this T-Mobile? Anyone still experiencing the VM problem?

I can confirm that mine too is working properly today without having used the alternate carrier prefs that are in Cydia (that is, I called the T-Mobile VM number I posted above and it cleared my status indicator without giving me SMSs. I think I'm actually going to keep Youmail though, so all in all, that was one good thing that came out of it. Youmail is really nice!

Plus I have an extra e-mail account (I have an AOL one I never use, so it literally gets no e-mail whatsoever). That means it can act as two gigabytes of space to keep VMs if I wish. :eek: :D

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I can confirm that mine too is working properly today without having used the alternate carrier prefs that are in Cydia (that is, I called the T-Mobile VM number I posted above and it cleared my status indicator without giving me SMSs. I think I'm actually going to keep Youmail though, so all in all, that was one good thing that came out of it. Youmail is really nice!

Plus I have an extra e-mail account (I have an AOL one I never use, so it literally gets no e-mail whatsoever). That means it can act as two gigabytes of space to keep VMs if I wish. :eek: :D

I had to use it here in Chicago, but the phone calls my own phone number when accessing voicemail.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I had to use it here in Chicago, but the phone calls my own phone number when accessing voicemail.

Oops, lost you. Are you saying that you were trying to use an alternative voicemail service but your phone didn't dial the right VM when you pressed the VM button, or are you talking about something related to the T-mobile status alert problem?

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2004

Yay for T-Mobile. Fixed it pretty quick and painlessly. In addition to your new find for Youmail and an email account, you have credit with T-Mobile! Double yay! :D I guess we can say (if everybody is experiencing the fix) that T-Mobile lived up to it's customer service. None of this... "not our phone, not our problem" crap. :p

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Yay for T-Mobile. Fixed it pretty quick and painlessly. In addition to your new find for Youmail and an email account, you have credit with T-Mobile! Double yay! :D I guess we can say (if everybody is experiencing the fix) that T-Mobile lived up to it's customer service. None of this... "not our phone, not our problem" crap. :p

Yes, I'm very happy on all those fronts! :) Now hopefully it stays fixed!

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2004
It hasn't happened with my iPhone. Maybe because I haven't restarted my phone recently....

I know a lot of people that has an iPhone with T-Mobile and it didn't happen to any of them.

I didn't restart my phone, but I was watching my phone intently when it happened... Because right before it started, I lost my network signal. And then, as soon as I got reception, I had the indicator on and a text from the future and past! lol

hypmatize

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
SoCal
I know a lot of people that has an iPhone with T-Mobile and it didn't happen to any of them.

I didn't restart my phone, but I was watching my phone intently when it happened... Because right before it started, I lost my network signal. And then, as soon as I got reception, I had the indicator on and a text from the future and past! lol

Now that i think about it i did lose my signal for no reason within that time frame but i didn't get any voicemail/sms that were out of place.

vivarey

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
Los Angeles
Hey guys,

Wondering if YouMailers here have actually turned OFF T-mobile's voicemail service. Would that solve the red dot problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.